Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Saturday Evening Post


Over the last couple of years I've been swapping original artwork for pages clipped from old copies of the Saturday Evening Post. I've just started sorting and scanning them. I plan on putting together a book of my favourites and printing a nice hardcover copy for myself through Lulu. As these pages are over fifty years old, they require quite a lot of Photoshop jiggery-pokery to clean them up. As I've got almost a thousand of these to go through, it might be a while before I get the book on my bookshelf...
Here's a piece by one of my favourite illustrators from the 1950's, Joe Bowler.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you know this blog?
http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/

There are a lot of beautiful things.

Sean Phillips said...

Yes, I look at that blog everyday. Very inspiring.

Sean Phillips said...

BTW, really looking forward to your Hellblazer book with Ian Rankin.

michaeljsmith said...

that is a fabulous idea for a book to enjoy..

cheers,

tonci said...

i think everyone'll line up for that book =)

Sean Phillips said...

I was only going to make one copy for myself. If I was to sell copies it would probably be a copyright minefield and highly illegal.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Master!
When it'll come out I would really like to know what do you think about it! (what's wrong...some advices... it should be amazing for me)


BTW, I'm waiting for the first Incognito TP

Alan said...

Today's Inspiration is a great blog. This is a nice piece of illustration

dzuka said...

hey, sean! recently i've kinda swapped my original artwork for yours over at splashpage art. instead of getting check for my sold pages, i've bought your cover for 'criminal' No.8 and got the piece in my hand yesterday.
man, i've been shocked! didn't realize it's a single horizontal sheet, thought it was a spread. now i'm even more amazed! not only your art is fresh and loose (as i've seen in print and on blog), but it's incredibly precise at the same time. you ARE the master, as werther said! : )

pete doree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pete doree said...

Philbo, I'll buy that book!!